ANOTHER Emery dress!!
But for real, when you love a fabric, you want to make sure you are sewing up a pattern you know is awesome, right?
I bought this amazing Cotton and Steel double gauze at The Cloth Pocket here in Austin. The buying experience in itself was wonderful, I freakin’ love that store. All the wonderful ladies there tried to occupy Quinn while I perused, and I was there for an hour, just hanging out. It was awesome. I had a hard time deciding on the colorway, either mustard or pink, but in the end, the pink won :)
I bought 2 yards because the other double gauze emery I made was squeaked by with just that. Now I don’t know who I sold my soul to on that other dress, but 2 yards just WAS NOT GOING TO WORK this time. I spent 2 days trying to manipulate the pattern pieces on the fabric to get a dress but it just wasn’t going to happen. So I improvised. Luck be it, the pinks in the flowers on the other double gauze I had (Nani Iro) left over from my other emery matched the pink on the dress PERFECTLY. So I cut some panels and gussied up the zipper area. I am a fool and STILL you can see the white selvage of the pink next to the blue, but whatever, that is just another design element of awesome home sewn clothes, right??
It was a fairly easy hack, I just drew a line where I wanted the blue fabric to be on the pattern piece, then measured my seam allowances on either side. I simply folded the pattern to cut the proper fabric.
I gathered the skirt this time, just to make sure all my clothes are just slightly different (and to be real, I was feeling lazy), but honestly I kind of wish I pleated it.. OH well, it’s not like I’m going to unpick it and fix it, I’ll still wear it and and still love it with the gathers. But I’m not really the biggest fan of poof in my belly area… Although, looking at these pictures, everything seems to be laying down quite nice!
Again, I used some leftover bias binding I had from my first quilt I made for the neck and arm holes.. Obviously I had NO idea what I was doing when I made that binding because I have used it SO MUCH, there must have been like 100 yards of it, but that has proven to be extremely helpful in all my latter projects so YAY! The pockets are made with extra voile I had left over from a dress I made Millie last year. It is great since the voile is a bit slippery on a sticky gauze dress, they work perfectly. It sure is fun being able to use whatever you have on hand to make something awesome for yourself! Hooray for being a fabric hoarder!
Quinn got upset at Millie being my photographer, but she ended up getting some cute pictures of me consoling him, I love his little hand around my neck here as I’m pointing out the birds :)