A few weeks ago I went ahead and bought the Perfect Pattern Parcel when it had women’s patterns. It had a few really cute patterns, and honestly the one I was least excited about was the Dandelion Dress/ Top by Seamster Patterns. But for some reason, I started thinking about it and then looking around the good ol’ internets at other people’s versions of the pattern. I then got really excited about sewing one up for myself!!
I really just LOVE all the interesting curves and darts and seams all throughout the pattern! I measured myself and saw that I was between the M and L sizes. Since the other patterns I’ve sewn have been a little large on me when I follow my measurements, and also since this pattern boasts to have room, I decided to actually cut out the smaller size and then cross my fingers. I decided to not make a muslin before cutting into my real fabric. I held the paper pattern up to my body and it seemed like the bust points were actually where my own bust points are, I couldn’t believe it!
The fabric I used was a quilting cotton for the main bodice that I bought during the fabric shop hop in Austin last month that I had originally planned on making something for Quinn with. But I decided to steal it for myself, HA! The top part is a cotton lawn that I bought during my NYC fabric shopping spree back in September. I have no recollection of where I actually bought it or what it is.. Maybe Mood? Then the bias I used was leftover from my Briar Rose triangle/hexagon quilt.
I ran into one issue while making this shirt, aside from not sewing a perfect invisible zipper.. I also still need to add a little hook closure for the top.. I could not for the life of me figure out how to connect the curved piece to the side seam dart thing… Until I realized that I was distracted while cutting/taping the pattern together and actually had a piece missing, making the front bodice too narrow!! DUHHH!! Since I didn’t have enough fabric to re-cut those, I decided since this top already had lots of seams, why not add another one? So I cut the part I was missing, added 1 inch to make up for the seam allowance on both sides and sewed them together with a 1/2″ seam, creating what SHOULD have been one pattern piece. I actually love the visual impact it added! Yay for happy mistakes! After I figured all that out, the pieces fit perfectly together and it all sewed up quickly and easily!
I am SUPER excited about this top and how well it fits and HOW fitted it is without ANY alterations to the pattern! Sometimes I feel like having shirts that fit my body look better on me than the drapey things, which can make me feel bigger than I am. I may have to take this top and put a gathered dress on the bottom.. The only downside is that I can’t nurse in it, so I will have to reserve this top for when I’m out and about without the Quinny. But other than that, I think I’ve found my go-to fitted bodice pattern!! YYYYYAAAYYYY!!!