I’ve been super excited to join in on the fun with Project Run and Play, when I heard the categories I started sketching different ideas for different dresses I could make. The first week’s challenge is to flip the Oliver and S free pattern, the Popover Sundress. I actually went out and bought fabric to complement a yard of yummy stuff I bought 2 years ago that I have been too scared to cut into because I love it so much, lol.. so the morning I decided to do it, I got all my stuff together and sat down at my sewing table- only to realize this fabric didn’t really go with the dress idea I had in mind..
Then it happened! I thought, “Hey! just because it is a flip of a dress, it doesn’t mean it has to be a dress at all!” And there sprung the idea to make a little romper for Quinn!
I bought this fabric before we went to Puerto Rico last month, I’m not sure if from Joanne’s or Hancocks.. I was thinking I would make him something before we left for vacation, but that never happened. I love it, it is adorable!
Well, hello, Mr happy sailor crab!!
I just adore “potato sack” outfits on babies and was excited to make one! I used the yolk from the popover dress, making it a little smaller since I’m working with a 4 month old and the smallest size on the pattern was a size 2.. Quinn was actually asleep during the making of this so I didn’t get to measure him at all. It was purely eyeballing it when I was cutting. It is a little big, but I think it just makes me love it more, so baggy and delicious! Also, there will never be a tutorial for this because I totally winged it as I went.
Instead of the tie arm straps, which were way too girly for this, I cut straps out and sewed them up, encasing them into the yolk.
I know this is a super overexposed pic, but I love how it shows the awesome accidental placement of the little crab on his shoulder :) And of course the look on Quinn’s face too!
It is really hard to take cute pictures that showcase an outfit on a baby who can’t even sit up on his own! So excuse my arm and foot lol!
I wanted to make the little romper poofy so I put a little box pleat under the yolk and I also encased the hem of the legs with elastic. I closed the crotch seam with plastic snaps so I could easily access the diaper.
When I was all done I thought it looked a little plain so I embellished it with a little free motion machine embroidery and made a little anchor in the yolk to go with the anchor on the crab’s hat.
I’m super happy with how it turned out! I want to make him more!